Monday, September 17, 2012

things i've learned...

Mom, I shoulda listened to you when you said...

pause

If you don't know my mom, you are missing out. She's probably the best friend and best mom a daughter could have. Glad I'm the only daughter... I don't have to share!  You can find my mom's blog here.

So a while back, I purchased a pair of old roller skates.  Like two years ago... maybe longer. Found them for $5 at a yard sale. I loved roller skating as a kid. Who am I kidding, I still do.  Well, I used them maybe twice since I got them. I decided to break them out the other day and skate around our town house. Yep... I'm pretty sure I am the coolest resident in our complex. I was decked out. I had bright green socks... you know the kind that almost reach your knees?! I laced my skates up, and grabbed Isaiah (who also has a pair of kiddo skates), and then I realized I had to, in my 2.5 year old's terms "go potty". So, I skated across my carpet to the linoleum in my bathroom... And after that, I realized I was thirsty. So, I skated across my kitchen floor and got a drink... And finally I made it outside (looking super nerdy I'm sure).  We had tons of fun. Isaiah loved skating. I think he enjoyed watching his crazy mom even more! 

Fast forward 2 days, and I am now cleaning my kitchen and bathroom floors.  What do I see?! Skate marks. Yep.  Seeing skate marks on my floor made me think about how when I was a kid and I would skate (or rollerblade) across my mom's (most likely freshly cleaned) floor to get a drink.  And she would always tell me not to skate across the floor because I would leave skate marks behind! To be honest, I never believed my mom.  Turns out, she was right! So, I began making a mental list of all the things I've learned... The things I didn't believe before I had to "grow up."  The first on my list is, of course:

1. Roller skates really do make marks on kitchen floors!

And a few others:

- Nothing good happens after midnight...
- Expensive clothes will not make you a better person.
- Turning off the lights when you are not in the room will save you money (that might have been more of my ultra frugal father)...
- Dusting anything above eye level is a waste of time... which is most likely the reason that I was always stuck with the chore of dusting off the tall shelves!  In all seriousness, my mom really does keep a really clean house, I promise!
- Nothing is as tiring as a day of hard work!
- No matter what, do not give up.
- Going outside will make you feel better.
- Good cooks always clean up their mess...
- A cup of coffee (with at least two spoonfuls of sugar) cures everything
- If you're bored, you can always clean your room
- You can't say you don't like it if you've never tried it
- If its not in my mom's purse, I probably don't need it.
- Be silly. Life is way to short not to.

And one of the most important things I learned from my mom is that she will love me no matter what.  In fact, she will love Brother #1 and Brother #2 and me no matter what!  She probably even loves her dog no matter what! She's just that kind of mom! 

By the way, my mom just celebrated a birthday a few weeks ago! Happy (late) Birthday , Mom. I love you, too!

1 comment:

  1. Sure good things happen after midnight! Game nights, births, possible engagements? Oh I could think of many things :) Optimistic here!

    ReplyDelete