Sunday, June 12, 2011

is it okay to...

CUSS?

So, recently, I've been pondering this question.  Is it okay to cuss?  As a Christian, I have to ask myself the question because as believers we are supposed to be set apart. People are supposed to see a difference in us.  I am proud to carry that label.  I want my life to be a sacrifice for my Creator.  I'm okay with that.  I recently read a verse from Psalms (a pretty popular verse). "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."  Wow.  I am supposed to DELIGHT myself in the Lord.  I often just read that verse and think, "Yeah, that's good." But, it is good.  He wants us to delight in him.  I find it pretty awesome that my God wants me to delight in him. Not carry around my relationship with Him like its a burden! 

Anyway, back to the cussing issue.  Cussing is so normal now!  And, I think too often I act like it doesn't matter what people say.  I act like, because its normal, I don't think anything about when someone throws a cuss word out there!  But, I'm discovering, that it does matter.  First, I looked at cussing from a social and cultural perspective.  What is profanity? What is vulgar? And, what does it mean to cuss? Finally, who is it that sets these rules? Who decides what is profane?  Our society determines what it means to be profane. The Bible does not give us a list of words under the title, "Words You Must Not Say."  Words and their meanings change as society changes.  Therefore, we let society determine what words are unacceptable.  Which is okay.  We are in this world, and part of the society here. While we are living for a much more important purpose, we still have to live!  Therefore, if society puts labels on words such as "filthy, profane, or vulgar," these words probably are.  With that said, if you wouldn't use certain words around your children, mom, dad, in church, or at a job interview, then those words are probably unacceptable to use. Period.

This brings me to another point:  cussing is worldly.  What?! Yeah, it is.  I read a quote regarding the use of curse words, or any profane or vulgar talk. It states:  "It’s the communication of the world, which we are told again and again, to have no part of. And yet we desire to be “culturally relevant” and “progressive” and “connect” with the culture around us… adopt this speech, and think everything’s fine, “for the cause of the gospel”." We have to decide:  does this language reflect the world or does it reflect God's holiness and bring glory and honor to Him?  When I became a believer in Christ, I was told to put off the old self, and put on the new (Ephesians 4:22).  When my old self got kicked to the curb, so did my worldly desires and actions! That's not saying I'm never going to sin, that's saying that my desire is not to sin.  My desire is to be more like Christ.  To do good works.  And if profane language does not honor my Savior, I'm not going to use it!  That said, after I become a Christian, I am also free. I have what I like to call "Christian Liberty."

Point three:  What do we do with Christian liberty?  I'm free, now what?!  We are free not to do as we please.  We are freed so that we might become more like Christ.  I was doing some reading that discussed how we are not just "free from the Law." We don't have to follow Old Testament  law anymore.  Jesus fulfilled it for us.  I have an some misgivings with being free from something. I'm glad I'm free from the Law, but more importantly, I am free to do something!  The law was binding.  It was strict. It pointed to  Jesus, but there were many requirements on what you had to do to be holy, to have a relationship with Christ, to repent of your sins, to offer sacrifices. When Jesus came, there were no more requirements. We  can be holy and repent without a sacrifice because He did it for us!  Now, we are free to have that ongoing relationship with Him. We are free to repent and to be holy without a sacrifice, without any requirements.  Thank you Jesus!  So, with this freedom, also comes responsibility. I think we put labels on freedoms.  We begin to give ourselves laws in the form of Christian legalism. You cannot... you must not... And on the flip side of that, we also begin to have a different view, misconstructed liberty or reverse legalism.  "Reverse legalism says: ‘we are saved by grace, not of works, so anything I do which is not specifically denounced by scripture is okay’." The same person who writes that quote, writes another I am fond of:
"Grace and conscience should not be used as covers with which we justify any sort of questionable behavior we don’t want to give up. When it comes to the issue of swearing we must be guided by the Word of God, our conscience, and the Spirit. But if you claim that the Holy Spirit is leading you in your “freedom” to use such language don’t be surprised when your fellow Christians respond by asking, “What the  @*&# are you talking about?”"
We need to be careful about developing a legalistic list of rules, but also be careful that we don't developed a reverse legalism viewpoint.  Ephesians 2:1-2 says:  As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

We are supposed to be set apart.  We are not supposed to follow the ways of this world.  If it is questionable, don't do it.  It is a matter of integrity. Why would you say or do something when you're in the presence of your friends, but not say or do those things in different company?   2 Timothy 2:16 says: "But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness."  I don't believe this verse is just referring to curse words either.  This refers to any profane talk!  Ultimately, the culture in which we live defines filthiness, foolish talk,a nd crude joking.  And, if the worldly culture says something is profane, then as Christians, I think we should stay away from it.

Point four:  Another quote: 
        
"It has been shared with me that some congregations... use and accept the use of profanity, and that they consider this as part of their ‘witness’, a way to reach those who may be put off by ‘religious’ people.  In fact, it seems to be a more and more prevalent course in many churches today to become worldlier in order to reach the masses."
We are not supposed to blend in!  We don't try to change to fit in to our surroundings (I'm talking about Biblical living).  I am not talking about going to another country and abiding by their hospitality laws. That would be showing respect for that culture, which is completely fine.  If that country has a particular gesture that is offensive, you wouldn't do it would you?  Its respectful. With that said, profanity is everywhere.  So, why try to blend in with a group of people using profane and vulgar talk?  We are supposed to be noticed. Matthew 5:16 says: "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."  We are supposed to be obviously different through our words and our actions (good works). And, how are we any different if we try to blend in with society?

So, my take on curse words?! I say that while there may be a time and a place for specific words, a Christian should really try to avoid them altogether.  We need to be aware of how our speech is going to be understood by the people around us.  Why are Christians called hypocrits?  Is it not because we act a certain way at church, but then go home and act like the world?  Therefore, let's not act like the world!  Is profanity honoring God?  Does it glorify God?  So, in my personal walk with Christ, I'm going to try to avoid profane language, and by that I not only mean the use of specific words, but also idle and vain talk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment