Thursday, April 12, 2012

Living for...

the next best thing.
money.
fame.
pride.
lust.
yourself.

Financial peace comes when you are satisfied with what you have.  When you're content in every situation. This week, I have been forever thinking about this verse:
" 19Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal." (Matthew 6:19-20 NLT)
 We live in a "me" society. We gotta have "me" time. Or "I did that." Or "look at my new outfit." Or "watch me drive around in my new car." Maybe its "look at my new house... I built it HUGE and placed it on the highest hill where everyone will know how successful I am."  The list could go on and on and on and on and on.  Don't get me wrong... do be proud of your accomplishments... but don't be prideful about them.  Don't live for those things you are trying so hard to attain!  And please, hear me when I say, "me" time is important. We all need down time. Even Jesus needed time alone!  But, it is the attitude of our "me" time and the things we choose to do during our "me" time that can be sinful.

So, about the verse... this week in particular I found myself thinking, "If I just had a new set of silverware, or some new pillows, or more home decor..."  And, this week when those thoughts have entertained me, I have immediately thought about the verse above.  Because, I don't need new pillows or flatware (I do not own one piece of silver and probably never will unless it is a gift).  I don't need more wall decor. Or house decor. I know those seem like little things, but when I thought about them, I wondered, "Am I truly satisfied? Am I storing up treasures on Earth or in Heaven?"  We want to show off.  But, we often don't show off the things we should be (myself included)... our faith. God.  We want to show off our STUFF. 

We will never ever be financially stable if we continuously live for the next best thing.  Because, in order to get the next best thing, we have to have more money. And that develops into putting work above God, putting finances first, charging things to credit cards, stealing... etc.  You get the picture.  Its okay to get new stuff (when you have the money, and spend it it wisely). 

And, its not just about finances either. We will never be spiritually stable when we want, want, want.  I just saw this (okay, like a month ago) in the news.  Seriously?!  I mean, the newest iPad might be totally awesome. It might be worth buying. But, why did Apple have to come out with something new? Because we, Apple's consumers, are NOT satisfied with the first iPad that ever hit the market.  We expect more. Same with cell phones. Same with computers. Games. Television... you name it.

Must. have. more.

With that said, when we desire these things. When we desire fame, fortune, the newest stuff, the best outfit, the nicest car, the biggest house, we are not storing up our treasures in Heaven.  We are storing them up here on Earth.  And, guess what, if you are nothing short of a rocket scientist, you know that if you drop your cell phone, it could break... permanently. When you leave your house, all your possessions could be stolen.  Let a car sit too long, and it won't properly start. Leave a house idle and abandoned and it will rot away.  We should desire the things that are pure.  Desire the things that are true. That will stay with us permanently. 

And, really, go shopping!  Nothing wrong with buying a new shirt.  You just have to have the right attitude about it (and the means to do so). 

Financial Peace Out,
Hannah

P.S. I could go on and on about this topic.  About how we don't really need a lot. About how so many times our income shows how "successful" we are.  But, I'll leave that for a new post!

No comments:

Post a Comment