Sunday, January 30, 2011

dot dot dot

As I was sharing my last post on Facebook, I realized something that I just had to post about.  I use the "..." or "dot dot dot" or, if you really want to know, the "ellipsis punctation mark" quite often.  Actually, I may overly use it.  Every time I post something, the post will most likely end with dot. dot. dot.  It is a great punctuation mark.  The ellipsis point can be used when you want to leave out part of a quote or when you want to pause the flow of a sentence.  For example:  Hannah thought... and then she thought some more.  Or, when used in a quote:  "Bohr... used the analogy of parallel stairways." (I actually derived this quote somewhere online).  Anyway, these are the correct uses of "ellipsis points" or "..." or "dot. dot. dot."  Now, what do I use them for... EVERYTHING.  Example:  I use them when my reader can fill in the blank with his or her own thoughts.  I wrote: "the things we do..." on FB with the intentions that others would think of the things they do for their children just to make them happy.  I use the dot. dot. dots. to pause my sentences.  Because, I want my reader to get it.  I want them to read my words as if I am talking to them.  But, mostly, I want my reader to just think with me.  When I see a dot. dot. dot. I usually fill in the blank (if that makes any sense).  I apply it to my life so to speak.  So, when someone writes "she said..." I'm automatically thinking:  "who is she, what is she doing, where is she at, whose friend is she, and what did she say?" 

So, my dot. dot. dots. are important.  Maybe I just think to much. Maybe I just wanted to research dot. dot. dots. online to see how I should be using this punctuation mark.  But, in reality I just don't care how I'm supposed to use it.  I am not graded on FB posts or blog posts. So, I really don't care as long as my ... is doing its job.  Read more about dot. dot. dots. here.

1 comment:

  1. i use them a lot too when i'm putting multiple thoughts together or in the place of a comma or period sometimes lol...i'm really bad about it, as you can see :)

    ReplyDelete